recycle project no. 16 - hurricane cover

recycling project no.16 - hurricane cover

As promised here is a very easy recycling project. All you need is:
- 2 paper towel cardboard tubes
- scissors
- glue
- two letter-sized sheets of office paper
- tape
- 4.5" x 9" (11.4cm x 23cm) glass hurricane

1. Press and crease the cardboard tubes lengthwise. Cut the cardboard into 1/8" (4mm) slices. You will need 84 rings.

recycling project no.16 - hurricane cover

2. Arrange the rings in a pattern where there are alternating rows of 4 and 3 rings.

3. Attach the rings, by placing small dots of glue (shown in red) on the four outer sides of each ring that are adjacent to four additional rings. Only add glue to two points (shown in green) on the outer side of the rings used for the top and bottom rows of the cover.

recycling project no.16 - hurricane cover

recycling project no.16 - hurricane cover

4. Cut about 1" (2.5cm) off the short end of each of the sheets or enough to make them flush to the height of the rings. Tape the two sheets together along the long sides and secure them around the hurricane.

5. Once the attached rings are completely dry attach the opposite columns of rings to form a tube. Allow more drying time and hold with a paper clip or something similar while it dries.

6. Slide the tube of rings over the paper-covered hurricane.

• • •

I'll probably be too busy tomorrow getting ready for our trip to Cancun (my brother's getting married) so... Happy Earth Day and see you next week!

31 comments:

  1. No way! That is just too cool! I'm off to find some cardboard tubes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow-that's GORGEOUS and so, SO creative! I'll be linking to this if you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, this is a great idea! You should write a book ;p

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an amazing project! I would love to link to it on Dollar Store Crafts.com if you don't mind! Let me know!

    Heather@dollarstorecrafts (dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am definitely going to try this! you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice! but...what is a glass hurricane??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much everyone! :)

    Jenna - a glass hurricane is like a large candle holder. The more typical ones are 'footed' but this one in particular is just a straight tube of glass. Mine doesn't even have a base or bottom to it. It's a simple tube shaped hurricane that I got a while back at a local craft store for something like $4.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patricia,
    This is just way too cool! I wondered what I could do with those ubiquitous paper towel rolls - and this really ends up beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a FAB tutorial! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an amazing project! really inventive and original! you do rock!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tutorial! Very nice idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what an awesome idea!!! thanks for sharing such innovative ways to reuse!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great project. I wonder how it would look with a tea stained shade or parchment paper.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a really cool idea. I always love the three-dimensional aspects to your paper design. I rarely think 3D myself, so it's so inspirational to be updated on your work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much everyone! I'm glad you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow! This looks like a really fun project! Thanks for the inspiring tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  17. amazing and fun. now why didn't i think of that? thanks a million for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea! We all sure have enough of those items around the house.

    What type of glue do you use? I would think it needs to be relatively strong to hold with such small amounts.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome idea, great desing, definetly will do it! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just wanted to let you know I posted about this on Dollar Store Crafts today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Patricia - I wanted to let you know that your recycling projects inspired me to make a handmade gift topper!

    www.thegiftedblog.com

    I admire your aesthetic and value for using things you already have around. Thanks for sharing your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful tutorial! :) Hope you don't mind me adding a link here: http://www.squidoo.com/reusepaperrollI always think when I see that page I have already collected so many ideas, and than, blog post like yours pop up and I can clearly see how wrong I am. Apparently, human creativity really knows no limits! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is great! But what is a 'hurricane?' and where the heck do I get one! We've been looking for lamp shades for our wall sconces forever. And we've come to the conclusion we need a glass 'tube' But as mentioned above, Where Do We Get One?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Michael - A hurricane is exactly what you described: a glass tube. In some cases they have a bottom (so it's more like a vase) but the one in this photo is just a tube. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Michael - One more thing... I got mine in my local craft store (Michael's). They are really easy to find.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all your comments and read every one of them. If you have a specific question I will be happy to answer it!

Thank you so much for visiting!