recycle project no. 12 - tealight decoration

It’s almost 5am and I’ve been awake all night. Instead of going to bed I decided to work on something to keep me from falling asleep. Yes - a bit crazy. But I know myself too well. If I go to bed right now I'd be clueless even if the entire planet shook violently. It’s best to stay awake and help get everyone ready for school/work. I'll have time to pass out after all my sweeties are out the door and on their merry way.

Did you think I’d forgotten about my recycling projects? Nope. I just haven't had time to work on any extra-curricular ideas. I’ve had a paper towel tube calling my name for me for a while. Here is what I did...



I started by folding the tube lengthwise - not making the crease too harsh. I used scissors to cut sections that are a little over 1/4” wide. I ended up with 29 ovals but only used 14 for the final project.



I slowly joined all the pieces by placing glue only in the center and inside edge of each oval. I formed a slanted circular shape by using the bottom of a tapered glass container as a guide/mold. That’s it!



Now I need to wake everyone up and get the day started. Have fun today!

21 comments:

  1. That's a really neat idea! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab idea, I'm off to find a cardboard tube...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo..I love the shadow that piece is casting. I have two or three of those paper towel rolls in my cabinet right now and kids at home every afternoon this week.....sounds like a great project for us. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant!!! Who woulda thought?

    Though I have a feeling I'll be cursing you for this later. Up until now I'd been able to toss my old toilet paper rolls into the recycle bin. I'm foreseeing bags of them being added to my studio stash. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool idea. I was keeping the cardboard tubes for recycling projects. Should try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice idea! I love the way you recycle materials; after all there's already so much stuff at this planet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So creative. (as always)

    I received the two beautiful packaged art pieces I ordered from you. (B is for Butterfly and the Linen Tree) They are absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute project! I love when things reuse everyday junk...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic! I played with those tubes when I was little and this just makes me want to play with them all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should read "Paper for the Hom." It's a craft book that has a very similar craft involving a clock facce in the center of these oval cardboard shapes! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow this is such a great project. I always hate throwing away toilet paper and paper towel tubes! I'll definitely have to try this one!

    Also, I linked to your blog! I hope that's cool.

    Always love seeing what you are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. a beautiful project--and done before anyone even wakes up! well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely!

    I love smart projects - quick, friendly, cheap and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. it's amazing how something so every day and simple can be so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. geez, this is a great idea.
    so simple..... now why didn't i think of that. lol
    scrapbook-crazy.com making mini scrapbooks
    my blog - Crazy bout mini albums :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fantastic blog. I love your recycling projects. You should come by mine sometime ;) I will sure be back here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is SUCH a great idea. thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow! You've taken the ugly everyday and transformed it into something very simple and modern. Well done! Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  19. De-lurking here. I love your trees and reusing ideas!
    Have you seen this site before?
    www.foldschool.org
    For all I know, /i found it through your blog. I know you would love it. We are working on the stool... but haven't worked on it for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this. I piggy-backed off of your idea here and recently made a cardboard roll flower bouquet. Thanks for the inspiration! http://myplumpudding.blogspot.com/2008/05
    /cardboard-button-felt-flowers.html

    ReplyDelete