Illustration Friday - I spy



As I sat here working tonight I realized that I needed to take a break and do something different. I went through some of last weeks photos and found a couple that I hadn't posted yet. They reminded me of what it is to 'just play'. That's what inspired me to finally do this little painting/collage.

Ever since I started working with linen I've wanted to do this with the border. I've had it in my head for a long time and it's finally done. I don't know why it is so relieving to me to get ideas out of my head and make them something tangible. I don't think this will go any further but at least I tried it.

Edit - I've submitted this as my IF for this week. I just asked little C what she spies in the tree and the first thing she said was "no leaves"...lol. I asked her a second time and she said "a bird". :)





Speaking of playing here are the photos I mentioned. If this doesn't date me I don't know what will! Raise your hand if you ever played with Fashion Plates. Me, me! After living in several cities and in two continents I have no idea how this toy has survived all this time. I have the full pink and blue sets no less. The outfits scream 70s all the way. Pretty funny - not that Little C cares at all. We love to pull this out every now and then and we have our girly artsy fun! :)

15 comments:

  1. OH.MY.GOODNESS!! i was just an 8 year old again!! i haven't even thought about Fashion Plates in a million years! i LOVED those things!! i cannot believe you still have BOTH sets!!!! this is so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of Fashion Plates- but wow! I have toy envy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet - I love the texture of the linen :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister had one of those things and I thought it was annoying that you couldnt make the figures more deformed. She loved it though. Very fun post. Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! My sister had some fashion plates too, I think I was too young to appreciate them though.
    Great illo, I love how the frayed cloth suggests tall grass.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful illo!! so pretty and warmth!! great posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i had this too! wish i had kept it, i have so man other things from my childhood. looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had those fasion plates! The next generation is still playing with them because at our church they have a "Barbie" set. :-) So they are still hip.lol

    ~Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this new painting. I agree with a previous person saying that the frayed edge of the linen suggests tall grass. Very nice combination of textures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing how this has been stored in my brain since the seventies and yet I haven't even thought about it since then! Ebay, here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I used to LOVE those things!!! Would love to get my hands on some again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i wish i got to play with those fashion plates! they look like so much fun! i would love to find a set for myself somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your creation... and I wish I had this toy when I were a child - looks like lots of fun :)

    ReplyDelete