sleepy time = creative time

This is a doodle based on something I drew right before going to sleep last night. Many of my ideas come at that point of the evening. I'm at the most exhausted, about to surrender to Morpheus and then it hits me—a new idea, a new illustration, project—you name it.

If my foggy brain thinks that an idea is worthy enough to stretch out my arm from under the covers, it gets recorded in my sketchbook. Otherwise, it's completely lost. The problem with sketching that late is that sometimes I end up staying up another hour or two. I'm glad I did in this case because I got a lot out of my head. I must remember to put pencil to paper more often.

How about you? When do new ideas hit you?

sleepy time idea

11 comments:

  1. Wow, I know what that is like...trying to tune down for the day, but mind still going. Sometimes I'm too tired to sketch the idea and then I can't remember the next day! Lovely sketch and the spots of color, organic but modern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once saw Rita Dove give a reading, and she told a little story about her own notebook, which she keeps by the bed in case she wakes up with a great idea for a poem. She said she woke one night from a dream and feverishly wrote in the notebook, and when she woke the next morning, eager to read over the idea, it said, "This is a great idea for a poem. This is a great idea for a poem." ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep, right before nodding off. last night.
    *yawn*

    ReplyDelete
  4. love that sketch! i'm the same way! some of the best ideas come when laying in bed right before falling asleep. i can think about something all day and not come up with an answer....hit the bed and it hits me! amazing how that works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have my best ideas during the commercial breaks when I am watching movies. There is something in my subconsciousness keep working when I am watching TV.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, me too...definitely in bed while trying to fall asleep. And in the shower. Only in inconvenient places do I get brilliant ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful drawing!! Glad you didn't fall asleep! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah the shower! I've noticed that in the shower I solve problems rather than come up with new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always get new ideas when I'm just about to fall asleep too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh the shower works wonders for me - as does walking. Somthing about mybody being busy doing something that lets my mind run free.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i too get ideas when i lay down! it has interfered with the amount of sleep i get but worth the trade!! i'll choose beauty & inspiration anyday!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all your comments and read every one of them. If you have a specific question I will be happy to answer it!

Thank you so much for visiting!