process

Jessica, Jan, Jenean and Michelle started it and I've decided to give it a go myself. This is just a little glimpse into what happens when we take an idea and follow a process until it becomes something a bit more cohesive and/or useful.

The ladies that I mentioned all blogged about their pattern making processes. In my case, I started with yesterday's) sketch and ended up with a prototype for stationery. It could easily become a pattern for anything else I suppose. Below is the hypothetical example that I worked on today.

1 - I scanned my sketchbook and used the image of my doodle as a backdrop in Adobe Illustrator. I placed a white transparent box over it (digital tissue paper of sorts) and started tracing over the image. The end result is a graphic and clean look.

sketch

2 - After a lot of moving things around I end up with these. The image on the top left is the one I created today. The image with yellow accents was the one I posted yesterday. The big difference is obvious. The feel is completely different in the yellow version because it is hand drawn and color was added digitally.

ideas

3 - One thing lead to another and I started wondering about other shapes. The bottom left is where I'm just trying to figure out what I'm going to do with two of the bowl/flower shapes. The bottom right is the final combination of the two elements. It reminds me of a logo mark.

In essence I ended up with three distinct looking images from one sketch idea. Two plant like shapes and one graphic icon.

4 - Applications - Below are just a couple of possible applications for two of the images. My favorite is definitely the top one. I'm actually thinking I may want to try it out printed on fabric for a cushion.

idea 1

hypothetical idea 2

And that's it. This exercise could go on and on. Like I said this is something I just worked on this afternoon. If I had more time to refine this who knows where I'd end up.

By the way, for any of you wondering, this process doesn't work for my paper projects at all. I mentally go over, and over my 3D paper projects before ever touching paper or my Xacto. Once I have the design in mind I may sketch something out really quickly to record measurements and then I just go for it. Nine times out of ten, what I had in my head works out and it looks exactly the way I imagined it.

Anyone else interested in showing their process? We'd love to see!

16 comments:

  1. This is great, it's so interesting to see how your ideas flowed and developed. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how it morphed into such different elements. Nice to see your train of thought. thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really liked seeing how you "traced" it in Illustrator. I've done similar, but never thought to ghost out the image! Thanks for the idea.

    Love seeing some of the ideas you came up with - this is def an element that has infinite possibilities in pattern & application!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i said it yesterday but i really, really love that design! so fun!

    also, just an illustrator tip: if you put your sketch on a layer by itself and then double click on the layer you'll get a pop up window and you can select "template" it will automatically dim and lock your image so you can't move it! took me awhile to find that feature so i thought i'd share it with you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so fascinated by those of you who work digitally; I recently shared my process on my journal, but it is all done by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah great tip Lori!! I always place my scan on an independent locked layer, but I've been doing the same thing for so long, that I never knew about that feature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are really beautiful designs! I love seeing them in application form- very cool! Love all of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the idea of showing the process! I think will look great on fabric.
    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chiming in to say the designs are gorgeous and that I thoroughly enjoyed following your creative and editorial process. What fun to get a tour of your imagination and skills!

    Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is wonderful and so nice to see process in action. i loved the initial design but the final -- wow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this was interesting! I will share gladly: this is my blog post about making a poster. It is calld "Funny thing about an inspiration":

    http://aleutie.blogspot.com/2010/01/funny-thing-about-inspiration.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing!! It's a very interesting post!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea to post on! I think it is easy to sometimes assume that the final product just magically happens for other artists instead of remembering that most of the time there is a lot of refining that goes into bringing a concept to a more finalized state. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so lovely and smooth..just like drinking smoothies =P

    now anyone can guess how passionate someone was, in making such beautyful and awesome designs. Loved to learn it !

    Thank you ~

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all your comments and read every one of them. If you have a specific question I will be happy to answer it!

Thank you so much for visiting!