visiting a long time friend

We were supposed to get our holiday decorating done this weekend and nope, it didn't happen. Saturday was the last day of the kids' soccer season and D was part of a tournament for his age group. We were at the fields for four games with long waits between games. We all got home ready to shower and go straight to bed. That's what everyone did but me (the going to bed part). Somehow, I ended up with a crochet hook, yarn from an old forgotten stash and the urge to create a freeform something/anything. I ended up with this scarf.



My Mom taught me to crochet when I was about 8 or 9. I don't remember if it was easy or not for me to pick up. I do remember just making things off and on with yarn that my Mom would buy me or give me from leftovers of the afghans that she made us (and that we still use). My first projects where clothes and accessories for my dolls. My latest projects have been small purses for little C. The one and only time I've used a pattern was many years ago when I made a large doily as a gift for my Mom. I didn't realize that until just now.



I don't crochet that often at all. But it does feel like a long time friend. The kind that you don't visit that frequently but that when you do see each other again, you pick up right where you left off the last time and you enjoy every minute of it.

11 comments:

  1. Isn't it a wonderful craft? Lovely job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks lovely. I just knitted a scarf in a similar yarn - I love that colour. I'm still a beginner at both knitting and crochet, though. Did you crochet it lengthwise?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Crochet is fun and very relaxing.

    UK lass in US -I crocheted along the short end of the scarf. By the way, your fabric barns/houses are just adorable. Sewing is something I really need to practice more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's lovely. i like the dark colour.
    a woman i worked with when i was a flight attendant taught me how on a long haul flight to japan. i will never forget that. she crocheted all the time and i couldn't waste the opportunity and she was happy to oblige.
    i haven't picked up the hook in a while but i do love it. i recently taught myself to knit which i hope to do a lot more of. there are so many great projects out there to try.
    anything made by hand feels right to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh, I want to learn to knit or crochet. I think it would be just the thing to relax me after a crazy day - like at the soccer fields all day!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Collette. You’ll have a lot of fun with knitting as well. My Mom never learned to knit and it was my grandmother that taught me.

    Metalsgirl - I think that the rhythmic work of both is what makes them so relaxing. Try either one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a really nice pattern you created - I like the charcoal colour. I crochet sometimes, but not often, and also so it out of my head, my last one was a kind of beanie hat which everyone laughed at. I still wear it though ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I meant 'do it out of my head' of course, and not 'so it out of my head' ... Sometimes my typing is so-so, though

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am the same with knitting. I have been playing around with different yarns as well. Lovely grey color.

    ReplyDelete
  10. gorgeous, patricia.
    love the colour and the design.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice, I like the texture and the color.
    Cool or I should say Hot!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete