reading & reminiscing

I love getting mail. It's even better when it includes a book. Here is what I read last night: At a Crossroads by Kate T. Williamson. It's tells the story of how the author feels and what she goes through when she moves back in with her parents. Every single page is illustrated with watercolor paintings (makes me jealous already) and the writing is witty and honest. It almost feels like you're reading an abbreviated version of the author's diary.  

I think this book would make a great graduation present. Much of the story is about the internal battle that goes on after graduation and the decisions involved in taking the "next" step. Personally, I remember feeling quite in awe of the fact that after graduating and for the first time since Kindergarten, my life was really my own. I was fully in charge of my future. It was daunting and exciting at the same time.

I mentioned being jealous of the watercolors because that is something that I never quite mastered in college. It's completely my fault though. I concentrated so much on my design classes that I didn't pay much attention to the other art classes I took. I regret that so much. Ms. Williamson's watercolors are a lot of fun to look at because they are simple, humorous and give the book a laid back feeling.



I love the spreads, like this one, that are sprinkled in the book between major sections.


Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. This looks like it would be a lovely, warm read just for the illustrations.

    Sounds great. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her book A Year in Japan and didn't know that she had another out. I'll have to look out for this one.

    ReplyDelete