he said what?

Picture this scene...

It's a fancy 6 course lunch and you're the photographer of the event. One of the guests summons you over with two fingers (à la annoying rich man). He signals you to lean over and he whispers into your ear.

He says, "My compliments to the chef."

You nod and say that you're happy that he's enjoying his meal. He then waves you away with his hand and says,

"You may go about your business now."

Yikes!

This happened to me on Monday.

The fancy lunch was in fact the 5th grade manners (ironic, no?) banquet at school. The 'annoying rich man' had the most I-know-this-is-going-to-get-a-reaction-from-you grin from ear to ear, isn't rich (at least not financially), he's eleven and just happens to be my son.

He got me good. When I leaned over I was totally expecting something like "Do I need to eat this salad?" or whatever else. I couldn't stop laughing.

Lessons learned:
a) The apple definitely doesn't fall far from the tree. He's totally getting back at me for the times I've teased him in a similar fashion.
b) Don't take life too seriously. Yeah—that may be stretching it. But that just popped into mind when I saw the twinkle in his eye as he realized that he caught me way off base.

No comments:

Post a Comment