recycling project no. 20 - 3D heart

This is very easy if you need to make a last minute Valentine gift or card.

Materials
- Magazine (or any other type of paper)
- Glue stick
- Scissors
- Deep frame or card stock



1. Using scissors and a page out of magazine, cut out one heart that is about 3" tall. Use it as a template to cut out a dozen additional hearts.
2. Fold each heart in half and add glue to a 1/4" on the folded border. Attach another folded heart on top of the first one.
3. Repeat step 2 until all the hearts are stacked and glued one on top of another. They will only be attached to close to their folded area.
4. Once it's dry, the heart will fan open. Glue it on the center of a piece of card stock that will fit into the frame.

This heart can also be glued to the center of a piece of card stock and used as a card or gift tag.

If you'd like your heart to look fuller add more hearts.

• • •

If you live in the Houston area and would like to see me work on this project I will be on Going Green with Yolanda Green (Channel 39) on Saturday at noon and again on Sunday at 10am.

Have a great Valentine's Day!



The egg carton heart project can be found here.

EDIT: Below is the video of the show that played locally this past weekend.




10 comments:

  1. "LOVE" it! So easy too! Plus, I could see doing this with other shapes as well. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could sew down the center instead of using glue. But a neat idea for a card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. U can see it with other shapes too, like for Cmas ornaments etc!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie - I thought of sewing but I also thought it would be nice to offer an option for those of us that don't typically pull out sewing machine regularly. ;)

    Jessica - Oh yes! I can also see this using an egg shape for Easter, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun idea! I love visiting your blog because you have the BEST ideas:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the magazine flipping heart. That's cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that heart is fab. I think I might have to make one to liven up my hall way. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Patricia -

    I've been following your work for a little while now and really enjoy your projects. You'll be happy to know that Home, Paper, Scissors is circulating through our local library system in Pasadena, CA!

    I was wondering if I could share your magazine heart project on my blog (www.thegiftedblog.com). I like how accessible and low-cost it is and think my readers would like it, too!

    Let me know what you think.
    Thank you!
    Charissa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your ideas. What great inspiration. I am encouraging my daughter to do a project to reuse a stack of magazines. You will help with our ideas.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all your comments and read every one of them. If you have a specific question I will be happy to answer it!

Thank you so much for visiting!