wrapagami - book review

Wrapagami: The Art of Fabric Gift Wraps
By: Jennifer Playford

Wrapagami teaches how to use simple twists and ties plus a simple square of fabric for gift wrapping. This technique is derived from the ancient Japanese tradition called tsutsumi—the added bonus is that it is eco-friendly and very easy to learn.

The book itself is very colorful and cheerful looking. I really like that it has very clear and easy to follow diagrams too. So many of us (even those of us that don't really sew) have stashes of fabric that could easily turn into attractive wrapping material in just a couple of minutes.



I can see myself using some of the ideas here particularly for difficult to wrap gifts. Those that make you crumple up wrapping paper in frustration, after you've tried unsuccessfully to stick that pointy end that keeps tearing hole through it all. It always happens when you're in a hurry too. Been there?

4 comments:

  1. I have decided that I--after I get rid of what I bought from last year's after Christmas sales--I don't want to use commercial wrapping paper anymore. I would like to make my own - http://craftchi.com/blog/?p=886 - or use something like fabric. This book would be great for that, though I probably won't be able to get it before the end of year (I've told you about my shelf of unused craft books, right?). BUT I have found a web page on Furoshiki, which seems to be another word for tsutsumi - http://www.env.go.jp/en/focus/attach/060403-5.html

    I met a girl at the library who told me she buys lots of fabric at Christmas time to wrap her kids' gifts in, then they use that fabric all year long to make pillows for their rooms or pajamas and stuff. So it could be treated like an added Christmas present! I like that idea lots and lots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Yes, I do remember your book rule (not a bad one to follow I think). I remember that CraftChi project - genius! And I like that idea of using fabric for Christmas and then for projects. That makes a lot of sense.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this on a craft podcast a few months back. I would like all my gifts given to me in fabric instead of paper from now on. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the fabric wrapping idea! so cute!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all your comments and read every one of them. If you have a specific question I will be happy to answer it!

Thank you so much for visiting!