summer treats

For those of you that blog, are you every plagued by having nothing interesting to say? That's where I'm at right now. I'd rather stay quiet than bore you to tears with a lame story about our summer routine. We're having fun—just not really blog-worthy/story-telling fun. The good news is that we're all ok.

A rare treat is that I've had some time to indulge in lots of reading. My night table is buried under stacks of all sorts of bound paper goodness. Before you start thinking that I'm on a scholarly quest, let me clarify that my reading materials are of a wide variety.



I've been flipping through magazines, some of my crafty books (partial collection in the photo—trying to keep it down!), business-y type books, self-helpish books and some mystery/espionage fiction books. Don't ask me what titles are included in that last category because I'm almost embarrassed to say them out loud. Kind of how I feel about my chick-flick movies. They're like a piece of chocolate one may sneak in during a momentary lapse in a diet—sooo good and for my knowledge only.

Much to my delight, and coinciding with my current reading frenzy, I got a beautiful book in the mail called The Handy Book of Artistic Printing. It narrates one of the forgotten episodes in American design and printing history, when intricate borders and embellishments where in high demand. There are over 150 examples of century old printed ephemera, that were researched by the authors, who happen to be graphic designers themselves. I'll admit that I don't typically read historic themed books but I couldn't put this one down. There was so much to look at and a lot interesting information to feed my knowledge craving neurons.





Alternating with the reading, I've had to tackle some late-night work too. I sneak in a movie to keep me company. An added treat is when Mr. Z stays awake during one of my girly selections. Last night for example, we were totally engrossed in watching Sense and Sensibility. I know all the scenes by heart and it still entertains the heck out of me. I just think that Jane Austen was a genius.

By the way, does anyone have any good book recommendations? I wouldn't mind expanding on my repertoire and I think my night stand can handle it.

And yes, I did notice that while I have nothing to say I managed to squeeze out a post out of nowhere. Ha!

8 comments:

  1. I always read a fluff book between "serious" books. I can't take too much seriousness! "City of Thieves" is a good read. I'm now reading a biography of Agatha Christie that is quite riveting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Little Gray Pixel; a quick fluff book is a necessity at times. I love Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series and it will keep you "in books" for quite some time (there are 15 in the series now). They're quick and funny! I get them from my local library. Happy reading! Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished Snowflower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. I couldn't put it down. A little insight into women in the old china household. Not a very long trade paperback. Just the right size for a summer read.

    Amy Rauer

    By the way, I find you very inspiring and read your blog often. I like to know that other real women are trying to balance a creative calling with a family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love books. Hmm. If you're in the mood for a curious, entertaining story try "A Gracious Plenty" by Sheri Reynolds. Beautiful descriptions and story driven is "Bel Canto" by Ann Patchett. I recently read "Huckleberry Finn" and laughed out loud and had a gentle reminder of our countries history. A fun tongue in cheek is "44 Scotland St." by Alexander McCall Smith. I just finished "A Homemade Life" by Molly Wizenberg. It's all over the blog world but is so worth the read. It's inspiring a lot of cooking and baking at my home. Well I hope something sounded intriguing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh great list so far! Thank you so much! I can't wait to check these out in the library.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally, I have no interest in Jane Austen, but I am excited to get to read "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" (look it up on Amazon!). I just finished reading my first mystery, which was set in the court of Queen Elizabeth I, written by Fiona Buckley. Very interesting indeed.

    And, like you, I don't like history themed books, but my favorite classes when I was going to the Art Institute for Interior Design were my History of Furniture classes. I don't know why, but learning about Napoleon and his conquests through what type of furniture he chose and why was really exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Read Jane Austen's 'Pride and Prejudice' if you havent' already. It's light but so so witty and still so fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How about some Richard Russo-"Bridge of Sighs" or "Empire Falls". Total immersion in a way that could remind you of Austin in its universal stories(and you don't have to be embarassed carrying the books around). I, too, like the Stephanie Plum series but find them more enjoyable if you don't read them back to back. And you can never beat Graham Greene. He is the favorite author of many great authors like John Irving & Amy Tan. He does comedy, thriller, drama, travel. He is a former spy and puts the excitement into his books. Happy Reading

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all your comments and read every one of them. If you have a specific question I will be happy to answer it!

Thank you so much for visiting!