homemade wrapping paper

So the summer has officially started in this household. The kids finished school last week and today we tackled our first small project for the summer. We decorated butcher paper that I had on hand and turned it into wrapping paper. It was an extremely easy project and it didn't take that long to do at all.



I spread the roll over our kitchen island, letting it hang down the sides. It was a great surface for all of us to work on, because we weren't in each others way and we could walk around the table as needed. My little C just needed a small chair to be at a comfortable height.

I love how crayons strokes look. They seem so sincere and authentic, if that makes sense.



My original plan was to use only orange and/or yellow, but the kids wanted to add more colors. They wanted to use green right off the bat but I explained a little about thinking out of the box, so we started with yellow. Once we got going, I had them take turns deciding what color we should work with. I drew, they colored and we love the results, although my favorite (as I predicted) are the orange/yellow leaves. How about the look for wallpaper?

me/marker + kids/crayons

• • •

Thank you so much for sharing all your accomplishments in my giveaway post. I'm amazed by all that you have done. I was struck by the thought that too often we admire what others have done and don't realize that we need to acknowledge our own hard work too. So hats off to all of us!

The winner of the framed flower is: Jeff
The winners of the printables are: Stitchinscience, Heather and Busy Vee.
Congratulations to all the winners. Please contact me at info at alittlehut dot com so I can send you your goodies.

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I especially love the gold and orange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful wrapping/wall paper. I think all the colors look great. And I really liked your observation about how we get caught up noticing what others have accomplished and forget about our own... I hadn't thought about that before, but I definitely think you are right. Thank you for giving me a moment to think about my own accomplishments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the colors! I always want to use every crayon in the box :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute idea!! I'm going to do this with my little nieces this summer!

    It reminds me of a mosaic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The wrapping paper turned out so pretty. Like you, I prefer to limit the colours, but my kids love using every colour available. When the kids paint, I usually start them off with two colours of their choice, but eventually they want to use all the paint colours and we end up with lots of brown paintings.

    Happy blog anniversary! I look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!! This is amazing, seriously. I'd love wallpaper like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only you could turn a kids colouring in session into beautiful wallpaper. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. could totally see that as wall paper in a kids class room! (I am a child of the 80's we did have wall papered class rooms back then)

    kids room decore would be great too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Almost too nice for gift wrap. I say leave it where it is!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun idea! I like the orange and yellow best myself....

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is an amazing idea. If only I sould put pens/markers to such use and start something like this myself...

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so beautiful! I could also see spreading the paper out and letting my youngest children make their big loops and swirly scribbles. Again, the simplest ideas are the most fun! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    xo, Amanda @ kiddio

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's beautiful.
    Would make a nice wallpaper (or rather a wall poster to highlighten a part of the room) or room devider.
    Even as a fabric pattern it would be a nice idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great wrapping paper! And yes I really like it as wallpaper to! Congratulations to the winners, but dang, I was I was one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How cool this project is!! As I like your artworks, I linked your blog on my blog. "M's stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all your comments and read every one of them. If you have a specific question I will be happy to answer it!

Thank you so much for visiting!