one month of projects

My mind is always full of projects and I'm not always good about writing them down if I don't make them right away. I think I have a temporary solution for that. I briefly mentioned it as a 'tweet' the other day. Have any of you heard of the National Novel Writing Month? Check out the site for details. The gist of the project is to write, write, write every day during November. I for one, don't think (no, I know!) I can't crank out 50,000 words in a month. So, I've decided to take a more 'me' approach to this.

I will declare November my personal 'One Month of Projects'. I'm going to come up with 30 original projects and I'll develop them as detailed sketches. If I'm on a roll I'll write a semi-tutorial for each. Notice I didn't name it very specifically. The projects will involve any type of handmade activity like paper crafts, knitting, crocheting, sewing (if I'm being brave)—anything. The good thing about this is that potential Christmas projects may come out of this.

I won't be blogging about any of my projects so the perfectionist in me doesn't have to worry about showing something lame. I'm not going to aim for perfection. I'm aiming (as the NNWM stipulates) for quantity and brainstorming.



Speaking of projects here is a little teaser of my latest project. I LOVE it. I'm starting to write the tutorial for it and it will eventually see the light of day. I'll keep you posted.

The countdown starts now. Four days until my OMP starts. Anyone want to join me?

11 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great idea. And I like the part about no pressure by not posting...but I do hope that you'll share some, eventually. I have a notebook where I started writing down project ideas last year, but I kept putting it aside because I'm a perfectionist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to join you. I've had many gift ideas, holiday decorations and new items for my etsy shop floating around in my head. It's time to just roll up my sleeves and get to work. Thanks for the inspiration and keep us posted as to your progress. That little teaser looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be with you in spirit and nothing sounds more pleasing than cranking out creative notions, but with the workload and family, it would be squeezed in so tight as to be "just another thing to do". I feel like February might be the good month for me... things slow down. But I look forward to what you will share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny Michelle because you're the second person that mentions this would be a good idea for February. Maybe I'll pull mention it again then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying to jumpstart my creativity. I'll join you this month and try to get a project sketched out every day! Thanks for the motivation. I LOVE your paper projects - I'm a big paper lover myself, the possibilities are endless! If I sketch out some sewing projects maybe I'll get a new sewing machine for my birthday (Nov 16th)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i promised myself a while ago i would start a journal to jot down all of the ideas i have because i forget as well. like a sketch book. for my own sanity because i also have tons of ideas but they get lost if i don't take notes.
    i also really appreciate the "no pressure" approach about posting them. gah! i also suffer from perfectionism. it can be a good thing, but man it can also be a stumbler. know what i mean?

    ps. your recycle project with the cereal boxes motivated me to finally do a little trial with some packaging i had lying around. i posted about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Patricia! What a fantastic idea! Would love to join you in this attempt and see what comes out of it. And I too like the 'no pressure to blog' approach...

    My brain is already working :)
    -Bhavna

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh thta's kool! :)) would love to join you..but I guess I should be realistic :P every alternate will be more like it..and I would add sketching to it, as that's the easiest thing possible when in a time crunch.

    all the veryyyy best :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea. I will cheer you on from the sidelines... Just catching my breath from a month filled with way to many projects big and small, so I will need to chill out for the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been in a creative draught and I think your idea is fantastic! Day 1 and I got my first idea out of my head and into the shop...
    http://littlestorydesigns.blogspot.com/2008/11/well-its-about-time.html

    ...just 29 more to go! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on such an ambitious commitment and schedule. Tho' I know you don't plan to blog in detail about all of it, I hope you'll give status reports. I've added you to my blogroll specifically to follow your progress. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete