exploring

Don't you feel like sometimes we're running from place to place and missing everything in between? I know I do. I think that's where a book like the one I got in the mail a few weeks back can come in handy. The book is called How to be An Explorer of the World by Keri Smith. It has 59 really simple and fun ideas that vary from making pencil rubbings of found patterns to taking detailed notes of the people that you see in one hour (I love people watching!). The book is written completely by hand, looks more like a zine or a journal and has extra pages in the back to document objects and experiences. I think this book is one that I'll definitely be sharing with the kids. We'll all be explorers together.



Speaking of exploring yesterday we were doing a little of that with my little C (aka. my time with her while her big brother does homework). After making a pair of crowns (she insisted on making one for her and one for D) we tried some doodling. I'd scribble a line and C would try to make something out of it. She got a little stuck on one so I made horse with that particular scribble (towards the left). She told me, kindly and rightly so, that my horse really didn't 'look good' and showed me what a real horse should look like (far right). Too cute. Her teacher is convinced that she's going to be 'artsy' like me.

By the way, my neighbor called us last night. As she put it, she called to report 'no good news but no bad news'. Her great grandson is still in critical condition but there are possible signs that there can be some recovery. After they take him out of his medically induced coma there will be tests to determine his brain function. The good news is that they have tested his breathing without the machines and he is able to breathe on his own for tiny lapses of time. Thank you so much for all the prayers and good thoughts they will be needed because there is still a long way to go.

One last thing. Don't be like me and wait until your husband gets upset at you because you haven't gotten your mammogram taken care of. GO DO IT. Go schedule your appointment today. I'm on my way to do that right now. Ugh.

4 comments:

  1. i have happy memories of playing that same doodle game with my brother when i was little. and um, i agree - C's horse is much more realistic ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book looks fantastic--Maisy might not be at an age where she'd be into the ideas, but it's a good book to add to my list! :)

    I'm so glad to hear the "no bad news". My thoughts are with you and your neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading backwards - catching up. Thank you for the update. I can't imagine what that family is going through.

    Ahhh...the annual. Yes, mine is scheduled!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi patricia,
    i've just caught myself up here on your posts. so glad to hear you are ok health wise and all.
    i'm very sorry to hear about your neighbour's great grandson. i will certainly pray for him. i fully believe in it's power.
    love your little cereal box organisers. i always save boxes and misc paper things. they come in handy. i also love the low cost and recycled factors. always a bonus in my book.
    i'm interested in your newspaper bowl and other creations. i remember seeing those on that write up at Craftzine blog? (i think it was there?)you were in a booth with all your newspaper creations? i'll have to search your archives perhaps.
    good on ya for getting the mammo. i think we should all do it and sooner than later. it certainly doesn't hurt.
    xo

    ReplyDelete