a lot of effort, a lot of love

Yesterday was a first. I made a summer dress for my little C. It's something I've been wanting to do for a very long time.

I let little C pick the fabric and the pattern. I knew it was going to be a lot of work and I wanted to be sure she'd wear it. She was going for pink and frilly but fortunately she stayed on the subdued side. It was really interesting to see her narrow down the choices for fabric. She immediately discarded that had "too many" of anything. We could've gone on a more extended hunt for the perfect fabric but time was of the essence. She was very excited and wanted me to start the dress right away. So did I. Little C isn't much of a dress person (just like her Mom at the same age), so I had to strike while the iron was hot.



I had a surprise flashback as I was gathering the skirt. It was something I hadn't thought about in so long. When I was little I had a yellow toy sewing machine. It was tiny, but it worked. I recalled, rather vividly, that one time I pulled on a thread and gathered the fabric by accident. It was an aha! moment. I immediately thought that that would be the best way to make a gathered skirt or dress for my dolls and I went for it. I don't remember what I made. However, I do remember having the presence of mind to baste/gather with a different thread color, so that it would be easier to pull it out once the permanent sewing was complete. I was about eight or nine.



The huge mistake I made may already be evident for those of you with a good eye. I was about to start the hemming, basically one step away from finishing, when I realized that I attached the skirt on upside down. @#$%!!! I was devastated. After a lot of back and forth, I decided to tell my little C what had happened, and let her decide what I should do. My sweet C told me she didn't care and she'd wear it as is. I could've just died. What a sweetheart. The imperfection makes me cringe, but I'm respecting her choice and in all honesty my back and patience level couldn't take any.more.sewing!

I got thanked with lots of kisses and hugs. Best of all my little C says she feels like a princess in her dress and she happily wore it to church today. Success.

14 comments:

  1. What a sweetie! It turned out great either way! Maybe you should make a pattern out of it and call it the upside down dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it that way round! Quirky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a "meet in the middle" dress. The skirt fabric will look right-side-up to your daughter as she looks down at it.

    Congratulations! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turned out darling! Don't you just love how much they love the things you make for them? So special. You know that I'm on a sewing rampage right now to fulfill those little dress wishes, too :)

    xo, K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my...i have done the same thing...(worse)
    I did all the pleats sewed it on and then noticed I sewed it on the wrong direction (inside out)!!!!


    argh....
    v8

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear V8! I feel your pain!

    Kyrie - Your dresses are so cute.

    Thanks everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet! I agree with Debby, the skirt will look right side up to her when she looks at it on herself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was going to say what Debby and Betz said, too! I have done the same frustrating thing... you try so hard not to mess something up and it's, like, the worst mess up possible! It's never the end of the world, however, it can mean the end of your patience. I have a love/hate thing with sewing... Great job - I hope you keep the dress for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! You did wonderful. I love sewing. Seriously, with a sewing machine and/or a hot glue gun, one can accomplish ANYthing. And your "mistake" doesn't affect anything. Sometimes the mistakes are what makes it more special.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you absolutely make out that it was meant to be that way, really!

    I still have a lot of the dresses I made my daughter when she was little and treasure the menories of the making and the wearing

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a sweet little dress.
    i grew up my mama making many dresses that i strutted around in pride. i have such warm and fond memories.
    am sure she will remember this for the rest of her life!

    i promised to make a pink/purple dinosaur pj for my almost 4 yr old. while that could be fun, am dying for my little girl to be old enough to "collaborate" on a dress together. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mother always told me that no one will ever notice on a galloping horse! Lynette

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all your comments and read every one of them. If you have a specific question I will be happy to answer it!

Thank you so much for visiting!